January 9, 2009

4 months check up

I had been looking forward to today for some time. It was Adam's four month check up. His real four month birthday isn't until the 13th, but our appointment was today.

I had guessed he weighed around 16 or 17 lbs and I was right! He is 16.4 lbs, just slightly over double what he weighed at birth. His height (length?) is 26.5. which is 5 inches more than birth. That part amazed me the most! Can you imagine growing FIVE inches in just four months?? I'd be over six feet tall! His height is 90 percentile and weight is 77 percentile. So... as I suspected, he's our BIG boy! :)

At the appointment, I was talking about how he isn't rolling over yet and asking if I should be concerned. As the Dr. was telling me it wasn't really a concern at all, since he does other important things (cooing, babbling, reaching for toys, smiling, etc), he rolled right over on the examining table! She had placed him on his belly and was, again, elated with his head control and his "mini pushups" He was being such a show off, lifting his chest and smiling at her. And, as we talked, he decided to prove me wrong by rolling over in front of all of us. He smiled up from his back, as if to say-- Don't talk about me, mommy! I can do this!! We were all so excited to witness his first solo-roll that we all cheered, which made him cry-- we were so loud it frightened him! Regardless, that was pretty special. I was so proud and happy to get to see him do it!

(As far as back-to-front rolling, he hasn't done it-- not that I know of. But often in play he will roll up onto his side and I think- oh! this is it! And then... he just stops. Anyday now I'm sure he'll swing on over, but it doesn't appear that he's quite ready just yet.)

We talked about starting solids and how/when to do it and what he can eat. Eric and I really need to get a high chair for Adam b/c we have nowhere to feed him, other than our laps. And that is super super messy, based on the trial runs we've already executed.

He also received more immunizations at this visit, and tho he cried when she stuck him (duh) he was over it within literally fifteen seconds. But, like last time, he slept A LOT today after his appointment. I don't know if it is a result of the shots or just because the visit is so new and overwhelming... either way, he snoozed through lunch-- the three of us went out to lunch after the appointment-- and he continued to snooze for at least an hour after we got home, allowing Eric and me to get a few things done around our house.

A fun thing I wanted to remember-- Adam has lately begun grabbing things and trying to eat them, no matter the size. Often he will take stuffed animal, bring it to his face and try to stuff it in his mouth. This week, I was holding him and Eric was talking to Adam very close to his face. Adam took his hands and grabbed Eric's head, pulled it in and tried to eat it! It was HILARIOUS. But even more funny was the face he made after tasting Eric. Ha! Apparently, he isn't a fan of Daddy-Face.

We've moved Adam's bedtime up to about 7:30 instead of 7. This was for a couple reasons. For one, during the week, we don't get home from school and work until 6 or 630pm, and he usually sleeps in the car on the way home. So, the earlier bedtime had us only waking him up to take a bath and go back to bed. Bummer! I want to play with this little guy. And two, he sleeps a solid 11-12 hours. So that means on Saturday morning, he's waking up at 6 or 7 am. Double Bummer! So, last night for example, I started bath at 7:30 and he was asleep at 8. And, at 815 this morning, I had to wake HIM up... not the other way around. Everything with having a baby is a trial and error test, you just never know what's going to be best until you give it a shot and see how it goes. So we'll just try this and see if it works any better for us...

Adam continues to be fairly content, really only crying these days for sleepy, hungry and change of scenery. I am able to get SO much more done with him around these days. We can hang together and chit chat while I also fold laundry or wash bottles. He's more and more happy learning about himself, what he can do, what he can get in his mouth and hands and how much he can wiggle, freeing up time that I/we used to spend being his Personal Entertainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment